Sunday, June 20, 2010

Observations from a Never-Before Pregnant Person

  • Morning sickness is a lie. It is in no way restricted to the morning. Mine arrives promptly at 4pm and lasts until late at night. There are a number of extra nausea-inducing factors that make absolutely no sense. For me, it's the sight or smell of peanut butter, taking a hot shower, having my hands in hot water, or drinking warm water. The best remedy I have found for nausea is simply to get fresh air. Even better if there's a breeze.

  • The food groups get rearranged to your satisfaction. Mine are the String Cheese Group, the Cottage Cheese Group, the Toast Group, and The Milk Group. There was an Egg Group but I'm over that now. Before we even had a positive pregnancy test, I would have bet a $100 bill we were expecting, due to the fact I demanded eggs on toast for breakfast for 7 mornings straight. Weird.

  • Hungry feels different now than before pregnancy. If I were to wait for that old familar feeling of hungry, I would starve to death!

  • Garage sales, Craigslist and consignment stores quickly prove to be invaluable. A baby bathtub in perfect condition for $2? Sold. $50 for a gently used double stroller base that works with any two infant car seats, and it's so wildy popular you can't find one that's not back-ordered? Totally sold!

  • After seeing how much baby stuff costs, being crafty and more resourceful suddenly has it's appeal. Like making two matching crib bedding sets, rather than buying them. The only style of bedding I liked would cost $300 per set! (haha like $600 on bedding is even an option) Re-learning to sew with the help of my crafty mom can produce a similar result for $500 less, plus I have extra fabric for other fun projects - curtains, pillows, cute little mobiles, boppies, etc...

The plan is to make 2 blankets using a similar pattern/layout, but with our own gender neutral fabric. We'll do similar bumpers, but not quite so full and puffy.



  • A startling observation regarding diapers... I was never good at math, but I can do basic calculations. It's been said that newborns and infants can use upwards of 10 diapers a day. 10 diapers a day x 30 days = 300 diapers, x 2 babies = a whopping 600 diapers a month! For this reason Zach and I are accepting any Huggies or Pampers coupons you may want to send our direction. Coupons combined with sales and promotions have served us well so far.

    {Pretend there is a photo here showing a mountain of Huggies and Pampers overtaking the Gear Room. I could have taken one but lack the energy required for such a photo. This one will have to do instead.}


    Each package in this (imaginary) pile was either 66% off or 75% off, and we have around 1300 diapers total. That sounds great and all, until you realize that's just over a 2 month supply. I am just crossing my fingers there will be more diaper sales and it's not a seasonal thing of the past. Oh, and we got 31 boxes of Pampers wipes for the price of tax. :)

    5 comments:

    Annie said...

    Rochelle, you make me laugh. I love that hot showers make you nauseous. It has the same dreadful effect on me, and I don't think I could stand to even be in the shower for more than 5 minutes worried that I may lose my breakfast, even now, and I'm 3/4 of the way done. I'll keep my eyes open for diaper coupons, you'll be needing them.

    Rochelle and Zach said...

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand hot water! In the books I have been reading, nowhere have I read about this craziness! Are you using cloth diapers?

    Unknown said...

    Holy sh!t!! Oh you two (4) have no idea whats coming! I'm so excited!!!! I love your bedding style to come. I want to help with anything I can. Let me know what you are looking for at yardsales and things and I'll keep my eyes peeled too! The warm water is cracking me up! Lets hope it only lasts through the summer when a hot shower isnt even appetizing anyways. At least you have an excuse to not do dishes! :)

    Sydnee said...

    I am so excited for you two! I will let you know if I find anything you might need for cheap. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

    fish family said...

    Congrats!! So exciting for you. You will make a great Mom. Also I have to agree that morning sickness is not what its really ment to be. I was reall sick with Kaden the other two I was hardly sick. Showers with all were terrible too. But I just hurried so I wouldnt throw up. When I know I am prego I know by craving hot dogs and cheese lol. I will send cupons if I find any. Just one thing to keep in mind. Some kids might be allergic to diff. brands or else leak easily. All my kids can only wear Luvs cause they dont leak like the others for us. Congrats again. So happy for you two. Shea