Monday, April 14, 2008

Mt. Hood for June



With my brother getting married in early June in Portland, Zach & I have been discussing flying vs. driving...and once we decided to drive, Zach just threw it out there that we could climb Mt. Hood before the wedding. He mentioned it and now I'm holding him to it! (Like I have to do that...)

There has been talk about snowboarding in the afternoon at Timberline Ski Resort on Mt. Hood, and at the end of the day ride the lift up just to continue hiking up a ways to set up camp. We would rest until about 3am and start climbing in order to reach the top in time for a beautiful sunrise. We would descend the same day, stop and pick up our camp site then have a quick snowboard ride down. Sounds easy in just 3 sentences but something tells me I'm about to be seriously humbled. Apparently to climb the last 500 vertical feet, you have to use a harness and be roped in. Never done this but we'll be practicing before hand. The stairclimber and I will be getting to know each other between now and then!

I'll post more on this as we figure it out. For now I need to start stocking up on the essential gear... Too bad the REI Garage Sale in nearby Hillsboro is after the climb!







1 comment:

The McGuffin Family said...

wow that sounds so fun and alot of hard work. I would need a week to do all that. YOu will have to take lots of pictures because thats about as close as i will be getting to climbing any mountains for a while.